Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Snow blows!

I had my son pretty young and was lucky enough to be able to live at home with my parents so they could help me raise him. My son spent a lot of time with my Dad. My Dad retired by the time Jake was born so he had more free time. So Jake was always in the garage with him....he learned the parts of an engine before he was ten, and knew how to run a snow blower by the age of eight. My Dad basically treated him like one of the guys. There would be times when my 11 year old didn't understand why I wouldn't let him drive to the grocery store because well...."Big" (he used to call my Dad, "Big Chief") always let him....he also could swing an axe and use the log splitter before he was 12…..needless to say he was my “little man”…..

Today with the anticipated snow…it made me think of the days when my son would be out for hours with my Dad running the snow blower or the plow truck helping to clean the sidewalks and driveways of our elderly neighbors…..one day Jake came in from the snow…..drudged through the drifts onto the porch and into the kitchen….he was cold and MAD!......apparently my Dad had yelled at him for something….so my mother said to him…draw a picture about it….you know to keep him occupied and to chill him out…..this is what he drew….. (notice how Jake even included my Dad's key ring that he always had attached at his hip)


2 comments:

  1. Kate,
    That's a pretty cool picture. It makes me think of some of my two sons story pictures.
    You wrote a comment on my blogs, which I've not writen on in almost six months. As my sister became ill with dementia, then worstened and died in October of conjestive heart failure. So, this past five months have been a steep learning curve as I am her Trustee and I've been doing all the family dispursements, and selling her home in San Francisco. I think I'm about done though, I see the near end of it and I will be able to pick up my normal life again.
    (I hope) It sometime feels so far away.
    Thanks for the comment and the encouragement.
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda
    I am sorry sorry to hear of your sister passing. It must have been so difficult for you. I would not know what to do if I lost one of my sisters.
    Dealing with the estate is such a difficult task too...especially after such a huge loss. I didn't truly deal wth my Dad's death until a year later when I wrote the story about him on my blog. Writing is very theraputic...so keep writing :) and keep in touch :) I hope you will keep up with your blog.

    ReplyDelete